3 Days in Seattle, Washington

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of visiting Seattle, Washington for the very first time. I had some friends running the RockNRoll Marathon and Half Marathon. Although I am not distance running at the moment, I decided to tag along to see a new city and play cheerleader.

I found a cheap flight that got me into the city at 9AM on Friday. None of my friends were there yet so I spent the day exploring on my own. I took the light rail aka LINK to Pioneer Square to grab some breakfast at Local360. On my way, I happened upon Pike Place Market. Perhaps by fate, I landed right in front of the gluten-free pastry window at Cinnamon Works. A GF cinnamon roll happened.

I roamed through the market a bit more before I set myself back on track to get to Local360. I found this place online and was drawn to its dedication to local sources and whole foods ingredients. I was pleased to get a nice simple breakfast to fuel me for a day of wandering. Beyond the food, the service was great. Everyone was super hospitable. When they found out I was visiting, they didn’t hesitate to give me suggestions for things to do in the area. One of the servers, Wade, gave me a list of things to keep me bust for the afternoon. Another server (I didn’t get his name!) gave me a great coffee shop recommendation. Heeding his advice, I went over to Bedlam Coffee to get a little work done on my chapter and figure out a plan for the afternoon. 

Bedlam Coffee in Belltown, Seattle
Bedlam Coffee in Belltown, Seattle

After working, I went to drop off my bags with Kari, my friend Rachel’s friend who was hosting us for the weekend. She works near the coffeeshop it was an easy walk over. 

From there, I went to the Sculpture Park and took in some great views of the city and then walked back to Pike Place to take it in more formally. After buying and eating way too many snacks at the market, I popped into The Crumpet Shop to sit down with a glass of green tea. I told the barista that I was visiting and she suggested that I got check out the central public library that was about a 15 minute walk away. So I did. 

Seattle Sculpture Park
Green Tea at The Crumpet Shop

Pike Place Market

Seattle Central Public Library

After this, I went to meet Kari and we went back to her apartment in the Fremont neighborhood. I hung out for a bit with her and then went to Bala Yoga for a hip-hop themed flow. This studio has great reviews online so I was really happy to see that they had a location in Fremont right near Kari’s place. Because I wanted to practice every day I was there, I opted to do the new student special. I really enjoyed the atmosphere at this studio. Everyone was super welcoming and warm (and I’m not just saying that because the studio is heated to 85 degrees). 

After class, I walked back to Kari’s and chilled with Rachel for a bit before bed. We ended up watching a couple of episodes of “The B in Apartment 23.” 

Day 2 of my Seattle weekend started with a little coffee session with Rachel at the local co-op before heading back to Bala for another class. Post-flow, I met up with Kari, Rachel, and some of their other friends to watch the Fremont Solstice Parade. This was definitely the highlight of my Seattle experience. It started with a bunch of naked bikers covered in body paint and costume accessories. So much good energy and creativity. You can check out a video of it on my Insta

After the parade, I hung out in Fremont and then ended up in downtown to buy running clothes. I decided that I wanted to run the last three miles of the race the next morning and I hadn’t brought running clothes with me. 

On Sunday, I woke up and headed to the Mile 10 marker of the half marathon to cheer my DTLA Running peeps on. I was only mildly successful in this endeavor however, as I only ended up seeing one of my friends on the course. It’s the thought that counts though right?? I ran the last three miles to the finish line and then met up with everyone for congratulations. 

Mykha at Mile 10!

Next, Rachel and I headed to Jack’s BBQ for an afternoon feast. Kari and her boyfriend met us there. After waiting for about an hour (it was father’s day and apparently everyone and their daddy wanted BBQ), we finally sat down and reveled in glory of Texas BBQ. I didn’t take any photos of my meal because I was starving by this point and I couldn’t bear to wait any longer. 

After BBQ, we all went back to Fremont. The evening included a Vinyasa + Restorative combo at Bala followed by dinner at Cafe Turko with my lovely friend Natalie. Natalie and I have been friends since high school. I posted a photo of Seattle on Insta on Friday and she commented saying that she was going to be there on Sunday. So glad we got to connect! 

After dinner, I went to meet the running crew at Triangle Spirits where I tore up the karaoke scene. I don’t generally consider myself a “karaoke person” but I clearly had a song (or three) in my heart night. The guy running the queue recognized my talent and started rotating me in regularly. Selections of the evening included “Sk8er Boi” by Avril Lavigne, “Drive Myself Crazy,” by N’sync, and “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley. It was magical, if I do say so myself.

After crushing it on the mic, I went back to Kari’s, passed out, and then woke up in time to make it to the airport for my 10AM flight. 

It was a great first run with Seattle. I really enjoyed the laid-back feel of the city and the people. It was a much needed break from the sprawling chaos that is Los Angeles. Also- the air was fresh. 😀 Looking forward to making it back at some point!  


2 thoughts on “3 Days in Seattle, Washington”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *