How to Achieve your Goals in 2018
New year, new start… that’s what they all say! Well, why not make 2018 count? At the start of every year, the vast majority of us set a number of goals that we want to achieve throughout the following 12 months. Do you always reach your goals? Most people give up trying within the first month or two. Does this sound familiar? If so, read on to discover how you can make sure you achieve your goals in 2018.
- Know your why – In order to achieve your goals, you need to be effective at creating them in the first place. You can discover more about this in my recent Preparing for Goal-Setting post. One of the keys to creating a successful goal is knowing the why. Why are you doing this? Why do you want to lose weight, for example? Simply doing this because you feel you should is not a good enough reason. Perhaps you want to look amazing for a certain event? Maybe you want to be healthier so you can participate in a particular sport?
- Don’t be too harsh on yourself – If you experience a setback, or you need to start over, don’t be too harsh on yourself. We all fail from time-to-time; it’s part of the process. Equally, you should reward yourself when you do something good.
- Tell people – By telling people about your goals, you will experience a number of benefits. Firstly, you will feel accountable, and this will make you a lot more likely to reach your goals. Secondly, you will have a support system, and so when you are struggling, you can turn to your friends and family members for encouragement and advice.
- Take baby steps – One of the main reasons why we do not achieve our goals is because we give ourselves a mountain to climb. Let’s take quitting smoking as a prime example. A lot of people reading this will have decided they want to give up smoking for 2018. However, simply saying, “from this day forward, I won’t smoke” is not usually the best way to go about it. You need to gradually stop smoking. You can either switching to vaping, which you can find out more about at https://vaporescence.com/, and then work your way to giving up that. Or, you can reduce the amount of cigarettes you smoke per day, a little bit at a time, until you stop smoking altogether. This is a much more manageable way of achieving your goals, rather than making it way too difficult for yourself.
- Track your progress – This relates to the former point regarding taking baby steps. You should track your progress regularly to see whether you are on target or not. This will help you to remain motivated while also reinforcing accountability.
So there you have it: follow the tips that have been mentioned above and you will have a much better chance of achieving your goals in 2018. Good luck!