Breakfast: Coconut Almond Quinoa topped with Blueberries
I was sitting around the other day thinking of ideas for recipe posts when it occurred to me that I had yet to post any breakfast recipes. I was shocked and appalled to say that least. Breakfast is HANDS DOWN my favorite meal of the day (my room mates from Manila, Jenna and Ili, can attest to that). I realized that when it comes to breakfast, however, I’m a bit of a one trick pony. I’m all about a delicious bowl of warm oatmeal decked out with nut butters, dried fruit, and yogurt (back in my dairy eating days). Every now and then, I throw some pancakes in for good measure but aside from that, nothing too crazy. Recently, however, I’ve opened myself up to trying some new things and I’ve been pleased with the change of pace. I recently taught myself to like egg whites (yes, I made a decision to like egg whites after hating eggs all my life- I’m all about protein) and so I’ve been dabbling in egg white omelets. I also rediscovered the wonderful world of turkey bacon which, when paired with a slice of Ezekiel bread and a small bowl of cereal, does me right.
This recipe doesn’t stray too far but from the oatmeal tree but it’s a nice small change up, nonetheless. I’ve loved quinoa for lunch and dinner for quite some time but I wasn’t until recently that I hopped on the quinoa for breakfast train. The nice thing about quinoa as opposed to oatmeal is its lighter texture. You still get all the proteiny grainy goodness without the mini-food coma that oatmeal can bring on….or maybe that only happens to me. Obvs, you can use oatmeal (or any other grain) instead of quinoa for a different texture with all the same deliciousness.
This recipe is simple and light with fresh subtle flavors. Enjoy.
- 1/4 C dry white quinoa
- 1/4 C light coconut milk
- 1/4 C water
- 1 T almond butter(my favorite is the crunchy unsalted version from TJs)
- Shredded coconut to taste (I used a couple of tablespoons)
- 2 T of sliced almonds
- Handful of blueberries
- (optional) Few tablespoons of warm almond milk to pour over top
1. Add quinoa, coconut milk, and water to a pot. Stir and bring to a boil.
2. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, place top on pot and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
3. When quinoa is almost done, add almond butter to a bowl.
4. Add cooked quinoa on top of almond butter and mix.
5. Top with sliced shredded coconut, sliced almonds, blueberries, and a little warm almond milk.
What are you guys’ favorite meals? Would you guys like to see more breakfast recipes?