Coconut Pumpkin Chicken Curry
It’s no secret that I love curries. There is something amazing about having an indulgent, creamy sauce of delicious flavorful meat and veggies. Since I’ve been consuming minimal dairy, coconut cream has become my go-to whenever I need a creamy fix. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some cheese BUT I think coconut gives it a run for its money in terms of creaminess. I’m not saying one is better than the other. I don’t wanna start a riot. But I do find coconut cream to be absolutely delicious and for those who might be lactose intolerant, it might be considered a God-send.
Now that I’ve raved about coconut cream for perhaps a bit too long, I should talk about some other parts of the recipe. In addition to the coconut milk, the pumpkin aspect is also pretty exciting. Anyone who knows anything about me knows that I’M ALL ABOUT FALL. So pumpkin is always a win for me. I’m definitely that person that stocks up on canned pumpkin in the fall so that I can have it year round without having the hassle of finding it off season. It’s amazing. But then again, no one would argue with that (I hope!).
This curry is the perfect balance of hearty, warm, comfort food goodness and light protein. I ate a little bit too much the first night that I made it so I speak from experience when I say that it doesn’t leave you feeling lethargic. It will, however leave you feeling satisfied. Perfect for a cool and cozy fall evening. Enjoy.
Also, I got one of those fancy recipe plug-ins to make my recipe easy for you guys to save (and rate!). I feel super fancy.
- 1 ½ lb boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- ½ C coconut cream
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2.5 TBL
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cayenne
- ¼ red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 TBL butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- ½ red onion sliced
- ¾ C pumpkin puree
- ½ C coconut cream
- ½ C diced tomatoes with juices (mine also had green chiles for extra spice)
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¾ C cashews, chopped
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Put chicken cubes and marinade ingredients together in a large zip lock bag or container with lid. Place in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight for maximum flavor.
- After chicken has sufficiently marinated, heat butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Once butter is hot, add sliced onion to the pan and sauté until soft and fragrant (about 8 minutes).
- Once onions are soft, add chicken along with marinade to the pan and cook through, flipping often and rotating the cubes that are directly over the fire (10-12 minutes).
- After chicken is cooked, add remaining ½ C coconut cream, pumpkin puree and diced tomatoes to the pan and combine.
- Once combined, lower heat and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
- I recommend serving over cilantro lime rice (or cauli-rice!)
- Top with chopped cashews and fresh cilantro
- I used Trader Joe's canned diced tomatoes with green chiles. If you like spicy and you're using diced tomatoes without chiles, add more cayenne and red pepper flakes.
(Coconut lime (cauli) rice with cilantro!)